PrEP Rally for Women
- Published: Tuesday, 30 September 2014 16:57
ACT UP/NY has been instrumental in the roll out of pre-exposure prophylaxis, or PrEP, in NYC and State. But until now the conversation has not included women's voices. I am writing to invite you to a PrEP Rally for Women, the first community wide discussion for and by women about PrEP to prevent HIV. Co-hosted by Mt. Sinai, GMHC and ACT UP/NY, the event will be held Tuesday, October 14th, 6 - 7:30 pm at Mt. Sinai-Roosevelt Hospital, 1000 10th Ave at 59th Street, Conference Room B. Confirmed panelists include:
- Shobha Swaminathan, MD, Rutgers/New Jersey Medical School
- Poppy, woman who was on PrEP when trying to get pregnant (via video from California)
- Jasmine, woman currently on PrEP (via phone)
- Julie Lynn, woman currently on PrEP
- Kimberleigh J. Smith, Harlem United Community AIDS Center
- Lynnette Ford, MSW, GMHC
- Moderator: Terri L. Wilder, Mt. Sinai Institute for Advanced Medicine & ACT UP/NY Women's Caucus
All women, in our full range of gender identity and sexual expression, are welcome and encouraged to attend. Learn the basics, ask questions and hear other women's experiences. Protecting yourself from HIV is a decision, not a debate — come be a part of the discussion.
ACT UP! FIGHT BACK! END AIDS!
Click HERE for the pdf of the complete flyer
Click HERE to listen to the 10 minute interview with two ACT UP women on Out-FM on WBAI/NY, 99.5FM. The women are Terri Wilder and Annette Gaudino.